Sunday, June 10, 2012

You make me laugh, little man

Henry makes me laugh. Like, every single day. As each day progresses it amazes me to watch him become more and more like a little human and less and less like the baby in my head he still is. I know that he is, in fact, a little boy. I just think that since babies progress so slowly the first year – we will thrilled at two months when he grabbed for a toy – that having such a spurt in mental growth is shocking. During the first year it took us over a month to feel comfortable feeding him solids – or more to the point, we didn't think HE was comfortable with solids until a month of trying. Now we are trying to have him feed himself with a spoon. After 3 DAYS, he was all over that shit going, “Of course I can spoon feed myself. Duh. I'm not, like, 10 months anymore, MOM.”

"I'll even lick the spoon when I'm done.  That's how good I am at this.   Please ignore my bib."

With all this mental growth comes humor. Henry, for example, likes to sing. Since his grasp on the English language is pigeon at best, his 'singing' is more of grabbing on to a syllable and carrying it on for as long as he has a breath. We were in the car the other week when Adele's “Someone Like You” was playing. After the high pitch chorus from Adele, a little voice from the back seat started, “OoooOoooooooooooo!” Andy and I couldn't help but laugh our heads off.

Henry also likes to dance. Right now it's your basic Stevie Wonder dance with some clapping. However, if 'In the Night Garden' is on and they get to the end where all the characters get together for a dance at the gazebo, Henry will insist of popping off the couch to do a leg up, side step, leg up, side step dance to it. It's so damn cute, I promise I'll tape it sometime.


One of the many things that will make Henry break out in a dance.

What Henry is not doing right now is walking. I used to be in the camp that babies will walk when they are ready. I've also been told many times that I should be happy he's not walking yet as for as much trouble he gets into now, it will double when he walks. But now, from my standpoint, it's getting to the point where he is ready, and we are taking him, to places where crawling around just isn't practical. On the advice of one of my blog readers, we decided to take Henry to Farmer Ted's. Farmer Ted's is actually pretty great as far as a farm trip goes – it's more like a farm amusement park for the under 10's. While Henry really enjoyed it, having to carry him when he clearly didn't want to be carried was a bit of a pain. There were precious few places that he could just crawl around – whereas he could have walked pretty much everywhere. We practice walking with him every single day and he can do it quite well just holding on to one of our hands (though he doesn't like it and will start whining for both our hands after a couple steps) but he just doesn't seem to want to. Or he's to scared to, though I truly doubt that is true. He's a bit of a daredevil.

"Again!  Again!"

He climbs stairs and is getting good at climbing down them. He climbs chairs and gets himself off just fine. What really convinced me that he wasn't scared of walking was how he handled the slide at the park. The first time I really put Henry on the slide, I just placed him on the platform so that he could look around. Instead of looking around for a bit then sitting there asking to be slid down on his butt like I've done with him before, the little fucker dived head first down the slide before I had a chance to catch him. He had a great laugh and I spent the next half hour putting on that damn platform so he could do it over and over again. Does that sound like a kid that is scared of walking?

"I'll even eat prawn cocktail crisps even though I make this face when I do.  I'm brave!"

With all the time that he's spent not walking, he has been expanding his vocabulary. We've got 'yes' and 'no' now. 'Yes' (or 'es') is the more popular right now, thank god. He said 'lights' and he's trying to say 'orange'. There's also been a lot of pointing to wanted items (funny enough, many times it's pointing to that damn orange) with a bunch of “I can't believe you can't understand what I'm saying, MOM” babble.

Seriously, this time last year we were THRILLED when he grabbed for a toy. Now our singing, dancing, spoon feeding, orange wanting, head first down the slide, refusing to walk little child is, well, making us laugh....like, every day.

2 comments:

  1. Awww...he is getting so big and handsome! Get ready for all sorts of new things that he can do and things he thinks he can do. If your kid doesn't make you laugh every day then you are doing something wrong. :) Thomas is almost 3 and he makes me laugh all the time!

    ReplyDelete